Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Public Park or Labour Fiefdom?

Earlier this week I was asked by a post grad journalist student if I would film an interview with her and a colleague about the paddling pool as part of a programme being put together on the subject.  The interview was not for broadcast, merely part of their training / assessment.  So I agreed to meet them at the Park this morning.

Just before I arrived I had a phone call saying they had been told they could not film an interview with me there.  They had apparently asked for permission to film yesterday (but my name was not mentioned then, not to hide anything simply because I presume it didn’t crop up.) They arrived today and were doing some general shots when they were approached by a worker who asked if they had permission.  They said yes but he checked with his manager who asked what they were filming. 

When they said they were meeting me to do an interview they were told they could film some general shots but not an interview with me. At this point several thoughts passed through my mind:
  • Who the hell do these people think they are?  This is a public park, owned by the people.
  • Glad to know they are so concerned about insignificant little me – must be making an impression.
  • How stupid are these people, don’t they know that will be the next story – Council censorship.
I wonder what the reaction would have been if they had said they were interviewing Owen Smith or the anonymous man from Newport?

No comments: